On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:52 PM Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://docs.python.org/3/reference/lexical_analysis.html#reserved-classes-of-identifiers
>
> I remembered the existence of this rule and tried to locate it recently
> (prior to this discussion), but was unable to because it doesn't explicitly
> mention "dunder". IMO, it would make that section much easier to find if it
> were to say either of:
>
> 1) System-defined names, also known as "dunder" names.
> 2) System-defined names, informally known as "dunder" names.
> 3) System-defined "dunder" names.

The word "dunder" was coined (relatively) recently. It was not in common
use when those docs were written. Another common nickname is "magic
methods".

So that explains why the word "dunder" isn't in those docs. And those docs
are pretty "formal" / "technical" anyway, not designed for the casual user
to read.

But yes, it would be good to add a bit of that text to make it more
findable.

I'd suggest you make a PR on the docs.

-CHB

Python Language Consulting