On 3/23/20 1:01 AM, Ronie Martinez wrote:
Good day!

I have been developing in Node for a few months now for non-Python projects (legacy project) and I found a NPM feature which could be helpful to developers of Python libraries.

When you install a NPM package, some show a message from the author after installation (see example below).

------

Thank you for using core-js (https://github.com/zloirock/core-js ) for polyfilling JavaScript standard library!

The project needs your help! Please consider supporting of core-js on Open Collective or Patreon:

>https://opencollective.com/core-js

>https://www.patreon.com/zloirock

Also, the author of core-js (https://github.com/zloirock ) is looking for a good job -)

------

Is it possible to adopt this? My proposal is to add an entry in the package metadata which I believe is safer and easier to implement compared to running a post-installation script. It is up for developers of package managers (pip, poetry, etc.) to actually print these on the terminal.

I appreciate comments and feedback.

Isn't this the same feature that caused a backlash and a ban? https://www.zdnet.com/article/npm-bans-terminal-ads/  I'm not an npm user, so maybe I'm conflating two different things.

--Ned.