Hello,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 12:37:48 -0700
Andrew Barnert <abarn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 12:00, Paul Sokolovsky <pmis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Roughly speaking, to support efficient appending, one need to
> > be ready to over-allocate string storage, and maintain bookkeeping
> > for this. Another known optimization CPython does is for stuff like
> > "s = s[off:]", which requires maintaining another "offset" pointer.
> > Even with this simplistic consideration, internal structure of
> > "str" would be about the same as "io.StringIO" (which also needs to
> > over-allocate and maintain "current offset" pointer). But why, if
> > there's io.StringIO in the first place?
>
> Because io.StringIO does _not_ need to do that. It’s documented to
> act like a TextIOWrapper around a BytesIO.

You miss the point of my RFC - it says it *can* do that, for free. And
it *can* be documented as a class to perform very reasonable string
construction across various Python implementations. And any Python
implementation providing StringIO can pick it up very easily.

I hear you, you say "no need". Noted, thanks for detailed feedback.
(It's p.4.1 in the RFC, "there's no problem with CPython3, so there's
nothing to fix").

[]

--
Best regards,