On Apr 15, 2020, at 10:16, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 8:45 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > you'd just add *args and **kwargs to the init signature and call
>> > super().__init__(*args, **kwargs).
>>>
>>> Which is what the OP is after.
>>
>> Hmm, makes me wonder if there should be an option to define a __pre_init__
>> method.
>
> Also note that the 'attr' package on PyPI is still available and provides
> features that dataclasses do not. Generalizing something in the stdlib is not
> always the best/necessary solution, especially if there's a battle-tested
> alternative available on PyPI.

Wasn’t dataclass designed with customization/extension hooks for apps or
libraries to use, like the field metadata? Are any libs on PyPI taking
advantage of that? If not, maybe this would be a good test case for that
functionality. If it turns out to be easy and obvious, then as soon as
someone’s got something stable and popular, it could be proposed for a merge
into the stdlib—but if it turns out that there are multiple good ways to handle
it they could stay as competitors on PyPI forever, while if it turns out that
the extension hooks aren’t sufficient, someone could propose exactly what needs
to be changed to make the extension writable.