On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 11:54 AM Richard Damon <rich...@damon-family.org>
wrote:

> > When it comes time to refactor—now we need to rename 'telephone' as
> > 'home_phone' and add 'cell_phone'—finding all the locations to change
> > is a PITA. If only we could grep 'person_record' globally, it would
> > have been easy.
>
> My personal thought on the case you are presenting, is that I would be
> tempted to grep for telephone, to change that because the change likely
> affects not just this given structure, but may also impact related
> structures which also assumed a single phone number.

Sure.  But what I gave was a simple case.  There are all kinds of
complications like this person_record being passed around from call to call
without actually accessing `.telephone` in a particular scope.  Or doing
something dynamic with the attributes/keys that won't show up in a `grep
telephone`.  Or the string telephone occurring lots of times in unrelated
structures/objects.  Or lots of other cases where lots of name changes
makes refactoring more difficult.  I mean, I've DONE it, and I'm sure you
have as well.  Clearly refactoring isn't impossible with different names
across scopes... and this goal is one of several in picking names, not the
single predominant one.