On 04/22/2020 07:08 AM, Soni L. wrote:

I have, more than once, had a desire to use zip to partially consume an
iterator from a set of iterators, and then pass the rest onto something else.
it'd fit in with that.

it's a small quality of life improvement that'd make zip even more useful than
it is today, and I'm pretty sure it can't break anything because zip (as is
documented) already puts None in the StopIteration. (whether the implementation
follows that is another story, I haven't checked, but that'd be even more of a
reason to change this.) not sure why so much pushback from you.

Because it's one more thing that would require support, that would only be
rarely used.  Specialized bits are usually left to third-parties and not put in
the stdlib without mitigating circumstances.  In this case there are enough
possible specialized uses and requirements and desired outcomes that the stdlib
should stay out of it.

--
~Ethan~