On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 5:56 AM Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas
<python-ideas@python.org> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 12:03, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Isn't much demand for a *generic* linked list. It would probably be a good
> > recipe though -- so users could have a starting point for their custom
> > version.
>
> I think what would be really handy would be a HOWTO on linked lists that
> showed the different options and tradeoffs and how to implement and use at
> least a few different ones, and showed why they’re useful with examples. (And
> also showed why the Sequence/Iterable API can be helpful but also why it’s
> not sufficient.)
>
> Then the collections module (and the tutorial?) could both just have a
> sentence saying “Python doesn’t have a linked list type because there are so
> many useful kinds of linked lists and they’re all easy to build but very
> different—see the Linked Lists HOWTO for details.”
>
> But if I wrote it, it would probably be 4x as long as any novice would want
> to read.

Summary, for novices: "Just use a built-in list and don't worry about
it. Performance of built-in types is usually 'good enough' even if it
isn't perfect."

It's only the experts who need this sort of thing, so I'm not too
bothered if novices can't implement LLs efficiently in Python.

ChrisA