I think only using the first third of the quote makes your argument too
terse Steven.

To include the second part: "There should be one-- and preferably only one"
which implies "It is preferable there is exactly one qualified pilot in the
cockpit", and we arrive (if abbreviated) at what James said.

However, to use the full quote as inspiration: "There must be at least one
qualified pilot in the cockpit and there should not be a tie for seniority"
and it flips again!

Regardless Steven, I don't think it matters (except for setting the record
straight[1]), they are not essential to his proposal? He uses this idea in
his argument to say we should adopt *one* of := and ?=. Firstly, I think
his application there is correct (if you assume at least one would be
adopted, I think only one would be) but secondly I think his email has a
strong air of false dichotomy: Python could well adopt a different solution
or no solution at all and those are perfectly acceptable outcomes and I
would advocate "no solution" as I prefer it over his two proposals.

[1] https://xkcd.com/386/