On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:53 PM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info>
wrote:

>     >>> len(Undef)
>     TypeError: len() takes exactly one argument (0 given)
>
> since len takes no default values. But if Undef is considered to be an
> actual object, like any other object, we ought to get this:

JavaScript and R, for example, do have a special pseudo-values for "even
more missing".  In JS, it is null vs undefined.  In R, it is... well,
actually NULL vs. NA vs. NaN.  E.g.:

> c(NULL, NA, NaN, 0, "")
[1] NA    "NaN" "0"   ""

The NULL is a syntactic placeholder, but it's not a value, even a sentinel
(i.e. it doesn't get in the array).  Python *could* do that.  But it would
require very big changes in many corners of the language, for no
significant benefit I can see.

In other words, I agree with Steven.

--
The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse