Hm, I remember Greg's free threading too, but that's not the idea I was
trying to recall this time. There really was something about bytecode
objects being loaded from a read-only segment to speed up code loading.
(Much quicker than unmarshalling a .pyc file.) I don't think we ever got
the details worked out to the point where we could benchmark.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*