My point is that _Elements of Style_ is not a set of rules. It's a nice
book with generally good advice; it's not a style guide in a formal sense.
If we wanted rules, _The Chicago Manual of Style_ or the_Associated Press
Style Guide_ would be much closer to that. But neither of those actually
removes subjectivity about what's clear either.