On 6/28/2020 4:10 PM, Giampaolo Rodola' wrote:
> From:
> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/0c6427dcec1e98ca0bd46a876a7219ee4a9347f4
>
> > Instead of requiring that comments be written in Strunk & White Standard
> > English, require instead that English-language comments be clear and easily
> > understandable by other English speakers. This accomplishes the same goal
> > without upholding relics of white supremacy. Many native English speakers
> > do not use Standard English as their native dialect, so requiring
> > conformation to Standard English centers whiteness in an inappropriate and
> > unnecessary way, and can alienate and put up barriers for people of color
> > and those whose native dialect of English is not Standard English. This
> > change is a simple way to correct that while maintaining the original
> > intent of the requirement.
>
> This has nothing to do with making the wording "clear and understandable" (I
> agree on that). It's about, once again, bringing race-based politics into
> Python, and spreading hate towards a specific group of people: whites.
> Whether you're aware of it or not, there is a term for this: it's racism.
> I want to remind everyone that most of us here simply want to contribute
> code. We do it for free, and don't want to be involved in "this", because
> frankly it's disgusting. Doing something out of passion and for free, and at
> the same time seeing these sorts of things happening on a regular basis,
> looks and feels like an insult, and will only lead to people leaving this
> place.

Really, I would hate to see this list descend into voluminous discussions on
racism.  I haven't seen an comments yet that agreed with the OP that PEP 8
authors wrote anything racist.  If fact, I suspect the authors would vehemently
deny such an accusation.  Please, can we just drop this discussion?

--Edwin