I honestly wouldn't expect that flag to last forever because it exists
purely to help with Python 2 -> 3 transitions. Since it fundamentally
changes how things like comparison and `str()` work it isn't something to
flip on needlessly and you would be better off using a type checker or
linter to look for those sorts of errors.

As such, changing the C API specifically for this flag isn't something I
personally would want to see.