On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, 9:19 PM Rob Cliffe via Python-ideas

> The upholders of the status quo regularly provide gallant explanations of
> why "else" is perfectly natural, even intuitive.
> The fact is, it isn't.  If it were, it wouldn't **need** to be repeatedly
> explained by gurus to lesser mortals.

I have used Python for 22 years, and I still cannot remember what else does
in a loop for more than a few minutes at a time. It's easy to remember "it
has something to do with whether there was a break." But neither direction
in that choice yet feels obvious to me.

I've read all the posts in this thread. I watched Raymond's explanation
from a talk a few years ago. I've read Guido's explanation. I've read
Knuth. I have a graduate degree in humanities and am a professional writer.
I'm a native English speaker.

It's still not intuitive to me.

In my own code I just avoid the construct. I reckon I'm +1 on "some better
spelling" ... although I manage fine without using it. I rarely see it in
the wild, probably because it is confusing.

I can't think of any other area of Python that needs to be defended so