On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 12:25 AM Dominik Vilsmeier <dominik.vilsme...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 04.08.20 22:05, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> Maybe get-type-hints can be refactored to make writing such a function
> simpler. IIRC the part that takes a single annotation and evaluates it is a
> private function.
>
> That's what I considered and indeed it relies on `typing._eval_type`. If
> this was public then all building blocks would be in place.

In that case I recommend that you create a bpo issue about adding it and
submit a PR to resolve the issue. I think the public API should have the
same defaults for globalns and localns as get_type_hints(), and it should
probably not expose the recursive_guard argument. Since this is a new
feature and the 3.9 release is already closed for new features, this can be
added in 3.10 -- in earlier releases you'll have to use `_eval_type`. (It
does not seem important enough to add it to the typing_extensions module.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*