On Sat, Aug 8, 2020, 1:12 AM Steven D'Aprano

> Static languages often check what
> bounds they can at compile time, and optionally insert bound checking
> runtime code for ambiguous places.

Yep. That's an assert, or it's moral equivalent.

Here's a deterministic program using the hypothetical new feature.

def plusone(i: int[1:1_000_000_000]):
    return i+1

random.seed(42)
for n in range(1_000_000):
      random.randint(1, 1_000_000_001)

Is this program type safe? Tell me by static analysis of Mersenne Twister.

Or if you want to special case the arguments to randint, will, lots of
things. Let's say a "random" walk on the integer number line where each
time through the loop increments or decrements some (deterministic but hard
to calculate) amount. After N steps are we within certain bounds?