Alex Hall writes:

 > I can't see any reason not to add it to range, strings, bytes,
 > deque, array, etc. beyond implementation effort. I also think it's
 > fine to leave them out at first.

If the "keyword arguments in __getitem__" feature is added, .get() is
purely redundant.  (Of course this thread would then become "make
'default' a standard keyword argument for mutable collections.")

Since .get() doesn't seem to be terribly useful, and there is quite
a bit of support for keyword arguments in __getitem__, I think this
can be tabled pending resolution of that proposal.