Thank you Steven,

This exactly matches what my goal would be, except the below.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:45 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> (8) Dict unpacking is permitted:
>
>     items = {'spam': 1, 'eggs': 2}
>     obj[index, **items]
>     # equivalent to obj[index, spam=1, eggs=2]

I would prefer to disallow this, at least initially.  None of the use cases
I've seen have an actual need for dict unpacking, and it generally just
seems to follow from the analogy with function calls.  I think not allowing
that encourages use of index-related operations rather than "another
spelling of `.__call__()`.

--
The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse