The immediate use case I can think of this for is to make it possible to
just do:

__len__ = instancemethod(operator.attrgetter('_length'))
__hash__ = instancemethod(operator.attrgetter('_cached_hash'))

and stuff like that. Mostly just a minor performance optimization to avoid
the overhead of Python level function calls (and in the case of stuff like
__hash__, reduce the probability of the GIL releasing during a dict/set
operation, though you'd still need some way to move __eq__ to the C layer
to allow stuff like setdefault to be truly atomic).

This was possible in Python 2 with types.MethodType (since it could make
unbound methods of a class for you; unbound methods no longer exist). Now
the solution is... considerably uglier (requires ctypes):
https://stackoverflow.com/q/40120596/364696