On 9/14/20 12:34 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> That's fine, but Python doesn't give you that.  In floats, 0.0 is not
> true 0, it's the set of all underflow results plus true 0.  So by your
> argument, in float arithmetic, we should not have ZeroDivisionErrors.
> But we do raise them.

Actually, with IEEE, 0.0 should be all numbers, when rounded to the
nearest representation give the value 0.

When we get to very small numbers, the 'sub-normals', we get numbers
that are really some integral value times 2 to some negative power (I
think it is something like 2 to the -1022 for the standard 64 bit
floats). This says that as we approach 0, we haveĀ  sequence of evenly
spaced representable values, 3*2**-1022, 2*2**-1022, 1*2**-1022, 0*2**-1022

Thus the concept of "Zero" makes sense as the nearest representable value.

Now, as been mentioned, "Infinity", doesn't match this concept, unless
you do something like define it as it represents a value just above the
highest represntable value, but that doesn't match the name.

--
Richard Damon