On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:09:35PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> I've frequently yearned for an sscanf-like feature in Python. Usually
> I end up longhanding it with string methods, or else reaching for a
> regex, but neither of those is quite what I want. I'd prefer scanf
> notation to format strings, but either is acceptable.

Why make this a syntactic feature when a scanf function would do?

This is an often-desired feature:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python+scanf

and for a while there was even documentation on how to simulate it:

https://docs.python.org/2.5/lib/node49.html

and there are plenty of versions on the web, e.g.:

https://code.activestate.com/recipes/502213-simple-scanf-implementation/

Perhaps someone who cares for this more than I do could do the research
to find the best implementation and write a PEP.