On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 05:55, David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:
> Smuggling in a generic function calls in square brackets is undesirable (but
> obviously not preventable at a language level).  However, I feel like
> keywords might very often "alter the behavior."
>
> For example, imagine we have a distributed array within an engine that is
> intended to be "eventually consistent."  I would find code like this, in some
> hypothetical library, to be clear and useful, and not to violate the spirit
> of indexing.
>
>> snapshot1 = remote_array[300:310, 50:60, 30:35, source=worker1]
>> snapshot2 = remote_array[300:310, 50:60, 30:35, source=worker2]

I would personally be very uneasy with this. A better solution would
be to have a proxy object that handles that:

>> snapshot1 = remote_array.source(worker1)[300:310, 50:60, 30:35]

Of course people can (and will) abuse the feature, but I would
personally consider it poor design. These tricks were discussed in
PEP-472 (e.g. specify the unit to be returned), but I always felt
uncomfortable with them.

--
Kind regards,

Stefano Borini