On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 08:52:45PM -1000, David Mertz wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 5:49 PM Steven D'Aprano
>
> > Since both None and () are likely to be legitimate indexes, and
> > NotImplemented is less likely to be such, I think this supports using
> > NotImplemented.
> >

> I think your arguments for NotImplemented vs None or () are solid. But I'm
> having trouble crossing my eyes in just the way that will make those words
> fit the purpose.
>
> What about instead subclassing NotImplemented as maybe NoIndex? That would
> make sense in reading, and have the same favorable characteristics.
> Moreover, being a brand new class, we can be certain no one is already
> using it.

I don't object to this. If we added NoIndex, we could make it unhashable
too. But I wouldn't want the PEP to rely on the Steering Council
accepting a new builtin just for this.

If the Steering Council will accept a new builtin, then I agree, this is
a nice way of handling it and avoiding even the faintest possibility of
collision with code that uses NotImplemented as a key.