On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 6:34 AM Samuel Freilich via Python-ideas <
python-ideas@python.org> wrote:

> The message does not include:
>
> * The word "hashable" verbatim, which appears in the glossary

* A link to https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-hashable

That's a pretty good entry that does talk about the importance of
hashability in dicts and sets. So making it easier to find might be enough
to help here.

So +1 on adding that link to the error message (if, in fact, links in error
messages are on the table at all -- do any existing built in error message
have links in them?

and/or at least add "unhashable" to the glossary -- after all, both
"mutable" and "immutable" are in there.

-CHB

> * A suggestion of what to do instead
>
> For example:
> TypeError: dict keys must be hashable (
> https://docs.python.org/glossary.html#term-hashable), 'list' is not.
> Consider using a primitive type (e.g. int, str) or immutable sequence (e.g.
> tuple, frozenset).
>
> (That could be too much stuff, my point is I think there's room for
> improvement over "unhashable type: 'list'".)
>
> I filed a bug about this (https://bugs.python.org/issue41114), but it was
> closed by a core contributor, who suggested discussing that on this list
> instead. While it's true that you can Google the error message and find the
> relevant information, I think the error message text would be worth
> improving.
>
> Peace,
> -Sam
> Message archived at