On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> > I DID in the discussion, immediately think of making an exception a
> > dataclass, as someone else replied with.  I guess if you want cargo in
> your
> > exception, that's a pretty good way to do it.
>
> "Cargo", that's an excellent term, thank you.

Before I used Python (and a bit overlapping), I largely developed in xBase
languages (Clipper, FoxPro, XBase++, I even contributed slightly to a Free
Software version called Harbour).  In the later versions they added some
OOP extensions that were used especially in relation to UI elements.  The
word "cargo" was in the official documentation of those languages to mean
basically "optional data attached to a standard object."  Basically, an
extra runtime attribute that could be used for whatever.

I think the word is really descriptive of a lot of what we do in many
languages with "bundling some data with an object."  I kinda wish it were
used outside of those out-of-date languages. It's a good term.

--
The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse