If I was the list moderator, at this point I would put the thread on a
"cooling off" timeout for 8-16 hours. Both of you seem to be mainly
complaining about each other's interaction style rather than adding
anything of substance.

Then again neither am I so why am I even writing this. :-)

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:36 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:16:16PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >
> > > Please explain how it's "spooky action at a distance" if it's a
> > > self-contained assignment statement?
> >
> > "Spooky action at a distance" is your phrase, not mine, or Rob's.
> >
> > (I think David Mertz may have used it first, but I don't have to justify
> > his choice of wording or agree with it.)
>
> I don't remember who it was, but I was responding to that exact
> phrase, and you jumped on me and said that my response wasn't a
> response for reasons. So you were arguing in support of the phrase.
>
> > > I know how much you love to argue, but really, this isn't productive.
> >
> > Are we arguing or are we trying to reach consensus on the desirable
> > behaviour and syntax?
>
> I'm really not sure. I'm arguing in favour of all the same things that
> made f-strings worth having, but from a parsing point of view. You're
> saying, hey, let's have all that, only not have any of it, and I have
> no idea what you're actually pushing for. I'm asking for something
> that has proven to be useful and practical in other languages, and
> you're saying that it wouldn't be useful or practical. Not really sure
> how this works.
>
> ChrisA
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/FJW6SSNUEK36E5JYWZCLG4HONSHD3K5N/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>