Hi,

I haven't tried PyInstaller (yet) but I believe it addresses a useful need.

IIUC, PyInstaller helps create single-file standalone executables for
Python apps, which can be convenient for several use cases (both for server
and desktop apps). If this is correct, then it's name might be a bit
misleading as it's not an "installer" in the sense of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installation_(computer_programs)

I don't believe the project should belong to the standard library, though.

But cooperation between the PyInstaller team and the Python Packaging
Authority, if this doesn't happen already, could probably help.

Regards,

  S.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 5:24 AM Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <
arj.pyt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings list,
>
> What do you think of adding PyInstaller as an official
> part of CPython? Among the different native exports
> options, PyInstaller holds a nice track of clean delivery.
>
> Instead of the project battling for its survival as any other
> project, if the community finds it useful enough, the devs
> can get some peace of mind.
>
> The stereotyped idea about languages like Python is that
> they don't by default produce executables compared to let's
> say Go. Adding the native ability to produce executables can
> be a turning point for Python. In the process, PyInstaller might
> become even better.
>
> Sure it will need people who are well versed in at least 3 operating
> systems to maintain the project. It will add to the testing load but
> if it's worth it, it's worth it. Though for a good DevOps team, set up
> is not a concern. However, having an executable makes the task easy
> as you just ship a final product.
>
> I don't exactly know how executables will interact with the WSGI protocol
> but these concerns are for after and is an issue which does not concern
> integrating a library per se.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
> about <https://compileralchemy.github.io/> | blog
> <https://abdur-rahmaanj.github.io/>
> github <https://github.com/Abdur-RahmaanJ>
> Mauritius
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/MCIPDY7EJ52VLFKVHR3V724KKZPOWCDG/

Stefane Fermigier - http://fermigier.com/ - http://twitter.com/sfermigier -
http://linkedin.com/in/sfermigier
Founder & CEO, Abilian - Enterprise Social Software -
http://www.abilian.com/
Chairman, National Council for Free & Open Source Software (CNLL) -
http://cnll.fr/
Founder & Organiser, PyParis & PyData Paris - http://pyparis.org/ &
http://pydata.fr/