On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 23:13, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
> > I just don't think we need to be immediately dismissive of people's
> > desire to create a platform native executable that disguises the fact
> > that the code is written in Python.
> >

> I never said it shouldn't happen. But having zipapp in the standard
> library and all native executable creators as third party apps gives a
> clear indication that a .pyz file should be considered first, and a
> native executable only if that isn't suitable.

In my experience there is a wide spectrum of different end "users" to
be targeted when thinking about packaging an application. I quite
often find myself in the situation where I'm providing code to people
who are also able to write code and I can just point them to github or
wherever and they can read the README and get everything set up. At
the other extreme I work with people who have no idea what "Python" is
and might struggle to use my application even if it was actually
configured and installed on their computer and in the applications
menu, had great instructions etc.

Somewhere in this spectrum there is a usecase for zipapp which is
something like "all my users have Python already installed but do not
necessarily know how to use it". I haven't personally found a
situation where this applies and haven't used zipapp as a result.

Packaging applications is something where Python's usability could be
improved enormously. Other languages also suffer around this in
different ways but if Python had a simple and reliable (if not full
featured approach) then that would be very useful. There has been a
lot of progress with packaging and distributing Python libraries which
is very welcome but support for distributing even very simple
applications is lacking.

Oscar