Hello,

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 18:53:57 -0800
Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a massively less ambitious idea, and doesn't solve the
> original problem, but:
>
> I'd like to see a scope for names that are "obviously ;-)" meant to be
> short lived. At the moment that's the for loop "counters" and those
> created by context managers:
>
> for i in something:
>     # use i as usual
> more_code
> # now i is not defined

What other language(s) implement such a scoping discipline? I know of
none.

On the other hand, block-scoped variables are implemented in:

* C
* C++
* Java
* Rust
* Lua
* JavaScript (not by default, as opt-in)
* Scheme
* Common Lisp (as opt-in)
* ML
* Ocaml
* Haskell
* very long list of other languages...

The aim of the block scoping proposal is to make Python *not worse*
than these other languages, instead of adding funny workarounds again.

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com