On 20Dec2020 08:51, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>> at sounds like a very special status. Why not os.clear()?

My anger at programmes which gratuitously clear the screen is large.
(Years of anger watching IBM-derived PCs boot, particularly, when I want
to see some diagnostic.)

One problem is: what does it mean? On a terminal, easy. But in a GUI?
Clear the screen (possibly forbidden)? A window? The "main" window?
Etc.

Anyway, I think it should be in curses (or be loaded via curses on
demand), and just have a clear_screen function thus:

    def clear_screen():
        setupterm()
        print(ti_getstr('cl'), end='', flush=True)

I can already see many ways to bikeshed on that, alas. But the point
here is that this is trivial function (albeit often wanted, however
misguides I might personally consider that want to often be).

>I also have no idea about implementation, but I"m sure there's a few
>folks
>with platform expertise that could make this work on many systems out of
>the box.

On terminals, see above. In a GUI, who knows? And how does one tell the
programme which it is talking to?

>is it so bad to use a subprocess?

Yes. It is _really slow_, depends on external reaources which might not
be there, and subprocess brings other burdens too.  Python comes with
curses and that knows directly how to do this.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>