On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 9:55 AM Joao S. O. Bueno <jsbu...@python.org.br> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 19:31, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I thought my message conveyed that I know "float" exists, and
> try/except is the current usable pattern (it is in the original posting
> anyway)

And my point is that try/except is a perfectly usable pattern. You
don't need to probe a string to figure out if you'd then be able to
convert it to a float - just attempt the conversion.

> The point is exactly that parsing a number correctly, and moreover respecting
> these options, is subject to error and the stdlib could benefit from
> a construct that would not require a try/except block for everything.
> (As you can see, I contemplate that raising may be a desired option for
> a flexible function, and there is an option for that in my example signature)
> .

You can always write the flexibility yourself. Most of the time you
won't need anything like that much flexibility.

ChrisA