On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 17:16, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the implementation of lru_cache too opaque to poke into it without an
> existing method? Or write a quick monkey-patch?
>
> Sorry for not checking myself, but the ability to do that kind of thing is
> one of the great things about a dynamic open source language.

I've only looked at the Python implementation, but the cache is a
local variable in the wrapper, unavailable from outside. The cache
information function is a closure that references that local variable,
assigned as an attribute of the wrapped function.

It's about as private as it's possible to get in Python (not
particularly because it's *intended* to hide anything, as far as I can
tell, more likely for performance or some other implementation
reason).

Paul