> On 5 Feb 2021, at 11:06, Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 7:59 PM Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm under the impression that new users will not create a venv.
>> Indeed I run a lot of python scripts outside of venv world.
>> I only use venv as part of my development pipe lines.
>>
>> I not sure that a venv cfg file would not help.
>> But a python.ini could.
>>

> python.exe lookup pyvenv.cfg even outside of venv.
> So we can write utf8mode=1 in pyvenv.cfg even outside of venv.

Oh I did not know that. I'm happy that a new file is not need for the
system wide setting.

> The main limitation is that users can not write config file in install
> location when Python is installed for system, not for user.

This is the problem that I was thinking about when I proposed using
a py.ini like solution where the file is looked for in the users config folder.
I think that is the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder for py.exe.

As Chris points out in his summary of the issue.

How would this work for different version of python being installed and needing
different config?
How would this work for python installed from different vendors?

Maybe the answer is that there is only one user defined override possible and
all versions use it.

Also am I right to assume that the impact of these changes would only impact on
Windows?

Barry