Hello,

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 17:26:00 +1100
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 5:21 PM Random832 <random...@fastmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > While we're on the subject of assignment expression limitations,
> > I've occasionally wanted to write something like
> >
> > try:
> >     return a_dict[key]
> > except KeyError:
> >     return (a_dict[key] := expression to construct value)
>
> That's what the __missing__ method is for.

That's true, but that would be an argument against PEP572 ;-).

But we live in a world where PEP572 is a reality, and people start to
look how to get the most juice out of it.

While triaging the issue with parallel assignments, I saw there's
already pretty long trail of elaboration of ":=" for various cases where
original implementation forced parens, which were looking weird to
human eye, e.g.:

https://bugs.python.org/issue42316
https://bugs.python.org/issue42374
https://bugs.python.org/issue42381

My proposal is to file parallel assignment case into the same "inital
omission" department like the above. And just like the above, it seems
it would be a trivial grammar fix (I didn't run the whole testsuite on
the result yet though ;-) ).

An orthogonal case brought up in the above quoted message, of allowing
Attribute/Subscript on LHS of the walrus, also seems legit to me, but
I'm not sure about impl effort (but my guess it's again would be
trivial or small, as apparently codegeneration paths are shared for "="

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com