Hello,

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 01:37:35 +1100
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> I think       it is probably pointless now, but you might get
> more response if you post actual examples of the syntax and
> semantics, explaining how your proposal differs from the (now
> accepted) alternative, and why you made the choices you did.
>
> You should also       consider that pattern matching is built
> on software patterns that are proven to actually be   used.
> People *actually do* write code based on isinstance matches,
> tuple unpacking, etc., so it seems strange to want to avoid
> those patterns.
>
> But honestly, the window of opportunity has probably closed.

I wouldn't say it's closed. There was a bunch of pattern matching
solutions for Python before PEP634, and there will be a bunch of
alternatives after.

But we now have a baseline reference to compare against. And I guess
everyone's expectation now when hearing about alternatives will be:

a) Show me differences with the standard pattern matching, including
actual side-by-side code.
b) (Assuming differences look ok) explain them.

Also, at this time, we all probably need to make homework on adopting
the baseline implementation, so I'm not sure how many will be
interested to discuss alternatives right away (beyond the expected
elaborations which were brought up already while discussing PEP634).

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com