Still OT ...

> But I do think you need to consider not just your editor -- if anyone else
> is going to read your code.
>
> They're not (in any universe I can imagine).

Exactly -- the most important thing about style is that it be consistent
within a project's development team -- if that's just you, then you're all
set.

> you also have other checks in there, so those would have to be moved into
> the functions in the dict, maybe with wrappers (or not -- depends on where
> you store some of that state data.
>
> Exactly.  Some wasted effort to turn a simple, contiguous, transparent
> chunk of code into something more complicated, spread out and harder to
> understand.

As i said -- depends on the rest of your code. It could make it less spread
out and easier to understand :-)

For the most part using a dict to switch makes the most sense if the same
pattern will be used with multiple "switch dicts".

> Again, turning simple straightforward into more complicated code.  (I'm
> quite capable of writing tricks like that *when I think they're
> appropriate*; I've done it many times.)

I'm not sure I'd call it "tricks" -- but anyway, I've found that big nested
ifelses are rarely the cleanest solution -- but not never.

- Chris B.

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting