On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 2:09 AM Brendan Barnwell <brenb...@brenbarn.net>
wrote:

>         Thinking about this more, I think the main obstacle to use of
> SimpleNamespace isn't the name, it's its the location.  No one is going
> to look in the types module for something like this.  Why not just put
> SimpleNamespace in the

collections module?

THIS I completely agree with!  I absolutely do not think this needs a
built-in.  But I also find that I've nearly never used SimpleNamespace; and
95% of the reason I don't is because of where it lives.  Very commonly, I
think about what particular collection is most relevant for my data.  And
if it's not a set, list, or dict, I nearly always look in `collections`.
Looking in `types` feels just weird, and it probably has slipped my mind
sometimes even when it would be the best choice.

OK, yes occasionally I look in `queue`, which is collection-like.  And
dataclasses, of course (which I thought should have gone in `collections`).
Or if I want some extra useful behaviors, maybe I use dbm or sqlite3, which
are kinda collections too (or NumPy, Pandas, xarray, etc).  But looking in
`types` for a collection feels very wrong.

--
The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse