On 2021-03-12 at 11:02:50 -0500,
Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> I think the only reason anyone ever used leading commas to begin with
> was because of languages that didn't allow a final trailing comma.  In
> those worlds, to keep the editing smooth, people moved the commas to
> the beginning of the line, breaking with every comma-tradition.

Allowing a trailing comma makes historical diffs shorter and easier to
read.

For exmaple, if I have a multiline list like this:

    x = [
          1,
          2
        ]

and add a new element to the end, then I end up with the diff including
the 2 even though I didn't change the 2.  But if I had had a trailing
comma, then the diff only shows the new entry.

I see a lot of SQL with the commas at the beginnings of the lines
(mostly, I think, due to SQL's syntax), but it solves the same problem.

> I don't see a reason to make that odd style easier.

I like allowing a trailing comma (for all of the previously stated
reasons), but I agree that "we" (except the SQL people!) seem to have
settled on trailing delimiters rather than leading delimiters, probably
because of the way we write human languages.