Thanks for clarifying. And I wasn't telling to write

if (obj != NULL) {
        Py_DECREF(obj);
}

I was actually proposing to change the code in the static inline function
_Py_DECREF by putting all of the code in the function inside the if block.

But Chris has a point. If we know for sure that it isn't NULL, why have an
unnecessary branch? And it's true. It would have to execute one more step (the
if block) every time Py_DECREF is used when it is actually not needed.

Moreover I thought about what you said Serhiy about breaking every bit of code.
Actually I knew it would break that's why I said in future Python version.

But anyway it's not necessary to change Py_DECREF and moreover deprecating
Py_XDECREF would cause even more problem.

Thanking you,
With Regards