Hi Paul,

> Agreed, it is appealing. The problem (and this is not a new
> suggestion, it's come up a number of times) is that of having language
> syntax depend on non-builtin classes. So either you have to *also*
> propose making the fractions module a builtin

That is absolutely what I would like to have. The fractions module is very
small, it can easily be made a builtin. This would also speed it up
significantly, I hope. Probably close to the speed of floats, given that most
of the time spent for floats is whithin the interpreter anyways.

> Personally, I can see value in fraction, decimal and regex literals.
> But I can live without them.

This is why I proposed not to make a new literal. With my proposal, I already
served two of your proposed use cases: fractions and decimal. Decimal(1/3)
would be perfectly fine. Plus symbolic math.

Effectively what I am proposing is lazy evaluation of the divison operator,
using fractions as a mathematical tool.

Cheers

Martin