On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 6:28 AM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >  > and more difficult error analysis.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "error analysis", unless you're
> > referring to performance degradation due to Fraction propagation.
>
> The error analysis for arithmetic with Fraction is much easier than for
> float:

sure -- but the error analysis is harder for computations that use a
mixture of Fraction and float, and it's not obvious where which is used.

If someone was proposing Fractions everywhere -- there would be massive
performance and backward compatibility issues -- but yes, Error Analysis
would be a lot easier :-)

Anyway, it looks like this was always about (or was transformed into) an
idea to better support symbolic math, which is in a new thread now.

-CHB

Python Language Consulting
  - Teaching
  - Scientific Software Development