On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 3:31 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> Here's a quick and dirty proof of concept I knocked up in about 20
> minutes, demonstrating that no deep compiler magic is needed. It's just
> a small change to the way `object.__getattribute__` works.
>
> I've emulated it with my own base class, since `object` can't be
> monkey-patched.
>
> The proof of concept is probably buggy and incomplete. It isn't intended
> to be a final, polished production-ready implementation. It's not
> implementation-agnostic: it requires the ability to inspect the call
> stack. If you're using IronPython, this may not work.
>
> You will notice I didn't need to touch getattr to have it work, let
> alone hack the interpreter to make it some sort of magical construct. It
> all works through `__getattribute__`.
>
> The registration system is just the easiest thing that I could throw
> together. There are surely better designs.
>
> Run A.py to see it in action.

Okay, so you've hidden the magic away a bit, but you have to choose
the number [2] for your stack inspection. That means you have to be
sure that that's the correct module, in some way. If you do *anything*
to disrupt the exact depth of the call stack, that breaks.

_hasattr = hasattr
def hasattr(obj, attr): return _hasattr(obj, attr)

Or any of the other higher level constructs. What if there's a C-level
function in there?

This is still magic. It's just that the magic has been buried slightly.

ChrisA