Dear Kevin Mills,

I understand your point to some degree, but could you please clarify
it further by answering the following question?

Which of the following expressions will be valid in your model, and as
what currently valid expression will each of the valid ones
evaluated? (For instance, I understand d[*(1,2,3)] will be valid and
evaluated as d[1][2][3] .  Some may seem redundant, but just to be
sure...)

(1) d[*(1,2,3), ]
(2) d[*(),1,2,3,*()]
(3) d[*(1,2,3),*()]
(4) d[]

The reason why this could clarify your point is, for example, it's
tempting to possibly incorrectly assume all (1) to (3) are going to be
valid and equivalent to d[*(1,2,3)] (as their counterparts are in a
function call), which could be a source of confusion since some of
them might be too hard to not interpret as d[1,2,3] if
valid. (E.g., I happen to have recently proposed (1) to (3) and the
like as valid expressions equivalent to d[1,2,3] while not giving any
interpretation to d[*x] here

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/BEGGQEU6MG7RYIY7HB4I6VQ23L6TXB6H/

with a summary

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/KF37FMD5K5M2ZVTJO6IS3J6M7HHE4VRU/