On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 02:30:10PM -0400, Juancarlo Añez wrote:

> *invariant* cond: etc

A software invariant is still an assertion.

In another post, I semi-suggested a new (soft) keyword:

    unless condition:
        # block
        raise Exception

But really, it's just an "if not".

    if not condition:
    unless condition:
    assert condition:

are all exactly the same amount of typing. It's not clear that learning
a new keyword `unless` is more readable than just using `if not`.

I think it might work better in languages that attempt to follow natural
language (e.g. XTalk languages) than one like Python with a relatively
minimal amount of syntax. But it is clear to me that using `assert` for
non-assertions is misleading.