On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 at 05:06, Finn Mason <finnjavie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's get back to the original topic. Should `dict.items()` be indexable now
> that dicts are ordered? I say yes. Why shouldn't it?

I say no.

"Why shouldn't it?" isn't sufficient justification for a change.
Because it costs someone time and effort to implement it, and that
time and effort is wasted unless people *actually use it*.
Because no convincing use cases have been presented demonstrating that
it would improve real-world code.
Because dictionaries (mappings) and lists (sequences) are intended for
different purposes.
Because no-one is willing to implement this idea.

Consider:

"Should lists be indexable by arbitrary values, not just by integers?
I say yes. Why shouldn't they?"
"Should tuples be mutable? I say yes. Why shouldn't they?"
"Should integers be allowed to have complex parts? I say yes. Why
shouldn't they?"

It's up to the person proposing a change to explain why the change
*should* happen - not to everyone else to have to explain why it
shouldn't.

Paul