On 2021-10-26 at 12:51:43 +1100,
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:40 PM <2qdxy4rzwzuui...@potatochowder.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2021-10-26 at 12:12:47 +1100,
> > Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The difference between early evaluation and late evaluation is that
> > > one retains the *value* and the other retains the *expression*. So
> > > it's something like:
> > >
> > > _b_default = assign_targets(); _d_default = FIRE()
> > > def f(a, b, c, d):
> > >     if a is not set: a = enter_codes()
> > >     if b is not set: b = _b_default
> > >     if c is not set: c = unlock_missiles()
> > >     if d is not set: d = _d_default
> >
> > Is the phrase/concept "retains the expression" new?  Unless it's really
> > a new concept, is there an existing way to say that?
>
> It's sloppy terminology, so the expression is probably new. You'll
> find similar phenomena ...

I get the feature (and I've stated my opinion thereof), and I understand
what you meant.  I guess I learned a long time ago not to make up new
words for existing things, or to reuse old words for new things.  You're
staying pretty focused (good job, and thank you!), but there's enough
random ideas floating around this thread that I thought I'd say
something.