> On 1 Dec 2021, at 10:16 AM, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've just updated PEP 671 https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0671/
> with some additional information about the reference implementation,
> and some clarifications elsewhere.
>
> *PEP 671: Syntax for late-bound function argument defaults*
>
> Questions, for you all:
>
> 1) If this feature existed in Python 3.11 exactly as described, would
> you use it?
Yes I will use it.

> 2) Independently: Is the syntactic distinction between "=" and "=>" a
> cognitive burden?
No, because it would look like a lambda (if the new lambda syntax were
approved), indicating this will be evaluated each time the function is run.

> (It's absolutely valid to say "yes" and "yes", and feel free to say
> which of those pulls is the stronger one.)
>
> 3) If "yes" to question 1, would you use it for any/all of (a) mutable
> defaults, (b) referencing things that might have changed, (c)
> referencing other arguments, (d) something else?
I will definitely use it for default mutable collections like list, set,
dictionary etc. I will also use it to reference things that might have changed.
For example, when making callbacks to GUI push buttons, I find myself at the
start of the function/callback to be fetching the values from other widgets so
we can do something with them. Now those values can be directly passed as
late-bound defaults from their respective widgets (e.g., def callback(self,
text1 => self.line_edit.text()): …).

> 4) If "no" to question 1, is there some other spelling or other small
> change that WOULD mean you would use it? (Some examples in the PEP.)

NA
> 5) Do you know how to compile CPython from source, and would you be
> willing to try this out? Please? :)
I haven’t done it from source. I might try to learn how to do it in the next
weekend and give it a try.

> I'd love to hear, also, from anyone's friends/family who know a bit of
> Python but haven't been involved in this discussion. If late-bound
> defaults "just make sense" to people, that would be highly
> informative.
I will show this to some of my coworkers who are python experts and I will
report back.