On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 6:18 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just updated PEP 671 https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0671/
> with some additional information about the reference implementation,
> and some clarifications elsewhere.
>
> *PEP 671: Syntax for late-bound function argument defaults*
>
> Questions, for you all:
>
> 1) If this feature existed in Python 3.11 exactly as described, would
> you use it?

I would actively avoid using this feature and discourage people from
using it because:

> 2) Independently: Is the syntactic distinction between "=" and "=>" a
> cognitive burden?

I think that this imposes a significant cognitive burden, not for the
simple cases, but when combined with the more advanced function
definition syntax.  I think this has the potential to make debugging
large code-bases much harder.

There is nothing that this proposal makes possible that is not already
possible with more explicit code.