On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> I would be more sympathetic to this idea if:
>
> 2. I had a guarantee that all of the bracket characters would be both
> available and easily distinguishable in any typeface I used.

I don't think the "distinguishable" part matters that much; if the
different variants of the same type of bracket look the same, we're just
back to what we see now.

However, it's a problem if they're just displayed as "unknown character"
markers, and you can't tell which kind they are, nor whether they're
opening or closing.

I suspect "rainbow parentheses" in editors is probably going to be a better
approach.