On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 9:02 AM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [*] now that I think about it, I would probably only do this without DST
> — including DST would require a DST database, which the stdlib doesn’t
> include.
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/zoneinfo.html

My Bad -- I forgot about that -- I know there was a lot of debate about
including something that was going to be out of data at some point :( -- so
yes, a daterange could allow DST :-)

But at the end of the day, it is never going to be better than horrible :-(

> Having said that, maybe it's simple
> to do this right. That's my point, someone needs to do the work to
> think all this through.

Exactly.

>  the one-liners already
> posted in this thread would be perfectly fine for any use I can
> imagine, and I see no reason to add such one-liners to the stdlib.

agreed. But we seem to be getting a mixed message here:

1) it's too coplex with too many variable that have to be thought through
and won't satisfy everyone anyway.

and

2) It's just a simple one-liner

Those are kind of incompatible ideas ;-)

This feels to me not so different then math.isclose() -- not that complex,
but complex enough that it's good to put a well thought through
implementation in the stdlib.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)